C. Ward Crampton
Dr. Charles Ward Crampton was born in 1877. He was an author, physician, professor, scientist, and consultant who was an active promoter of public service, physical fitness, and hygiene. He worked with both the Boy Scouts and the Camp Fire Girls, and conducted research on the cardiopulmonary system.
He was involved with the 1926 Admiral Byrd Antarctic expedition, and received a personal thank you letter from Admiral Byrd. He had original photographs of Lou Gehrig, taken for the May 1937 issue of his monthly article in BOYS' LIFE magazine, entitled "Keeping Physically Fit."
He wrote the introduction and was involved in the writing of Nils W. Bergquist's book Swedish Folk Dances.
Dr. C. Ward Crampton died in 1964.
Dr. Crampton's articles and publications include
- Blood Ptosis: A test of vasomotor efficiency.
- Boy's Book of Strength, The. McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1st edition, 1936. Hardcover.
- Daily Health Builder. G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1928. 161 pp.
- Dancing for Men. 12 pp.
- Fighting Fitness: A preliminary training guide. Whittlesey House: McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc., 1944. 251 pp.
- Folk Dance Book, The: For elementary schools, classroom, playground, and gymnasium. A. S. Barnes and Company. 1920. 82 pp. Hardcover.
- Folk Dance Music. with Elizabeth Burchenal. G. Shirmer, 1908. Hardcover.
- "Good Posture" Department of Public Instruction, Superintendent of Public Instruction, 23 pp.
- Guide to Physical Fitness, A: Start today! The Word Publishing Company, 1943.
- Hygiene for the Worker. Nabu Press, 2010. 250 pp. Softcover.
- Live Long and Like It. Public Affairs Pamphlet. 32 pp. Softcover.
- "New York System of Physical Training, The" National Education Association of the United States. Journal of proceedings and addresses, 1916.
- Official Handbook of the Public Schools Athletic League, New York City. Nabu Press, 2010. 564 pp. Hardcover.
- Pedagogy of Physical Training, The: With special reference to formal exercises. University of Michigan Library, 1922. 284 pp. Hardcover.
- Personal Health: Boy Scouts of America. Softcover.
- Physical Development. Boy Scouts of America, 1930. Softcover.
- Physical Exercise for Daily Use. G. P. Putnams Sons, 1924. 303 pp. Hardcover
- Physical Training and Hygiene. Borad of Education, 1915. 38 pp.
- School Tactics and Maze Running. with Emanuel Haug, Montague Gammon, Luther Halsey Gulick, and Jessie Bancroft Hubbell. Library of Congress, 1916. 144 pp. Softcover.
- Second Folk Dance Book, The. Nabu Press, 2010. 88 pp. Hardcover.
- Significance of Physiological Age in Education. Government Printing Office, 1913. 13 pp.
- Song Play Book, The: Singing games for children. A. S. Barnes and Complany, 1924. Hardcover.
- Swedish Folk Dances. with Nils W. Bergquist. 76 pp.
- Test of Condition, A: Preliminary Report, 22 pp. 1905.
- Training for Championship Athletics: Whittlessy House Sports Series. Whittlessy House, McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1939. 303 pp. Hardcover.